Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Emergency: No Nuggets!!

A woman in Fort Pierce, Florida felt the need to dial 911 after a McDonald's restaurant could not issue her request for chicken nuggets.

According to the police reports, Latreasa Goodman dialed 911 three times after an employee could not provide her with the chicken nuggets she had ordered. They had ran out of nuggets and instead of issuing a refund, the clerk told Goodman she had a store policy that did not allow the refunding of her money. She then offered Goodman other items from the menu of equal value.

"The manager just took my money and won't give me my money back, trying to make me get something off the menu that I don't want," said Goodman.

The news was so surprising and interesting, MSNBC published the story. The woman believed she had been scammed, and was in disbelief when she did not even get a refund.

"This is an emergency. If I would have known they didn't have McNuggets, I wouldn't have given my money, and now she wants to give me a McDouble, but I don't want one. This is an emergency."

I think it is quite funny to see this type of news on a news site. Yes it is news, but at the same time, so much more is going on in the world and people choose to document on the "silly" stuff such as this. Stories such as economic rises, franchises closing, stock markets crashing, those seem to fall second to the fluff pieces. Maybe the funny, interesting stories take a break from the issues.

I believe McDonald's was in the wrong for not providing a refund, and I understand the anger after finding out that not only did they not have their advertised items, but also being unable to provide a refund. Although the woman will recieve a refund and a free meal, she didn't have to call 911. Emergencies are for more important things than a 10-count of chicken nuggets.

6 comments:

  1. Now I have heard it all. When have you every heard of an establishment not refunding your money back when they can't produce the good. McDonald's was totally in the wrong and owes the customer an apology.

    What is the world coming today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable. I actually grew up about 15 minutes from that area and i have to say it doesn't really suprise me. People around there are a little cooky. That lady should of received a fine for taking up an emergency line in a non-emergency situation, or at least a stern talking to from the police. The fact that MSNBC gave her the attention by producing the story doesn't help the situation either. Hopefully people won't think that they will get attention from the media just by making themselves look foolish by doing something so rediculous. I don't believe that serious stories are second to the "fluff" stories but rather a refreshing break to show the world that news isn't all negative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the funniest stories that I have read in a long time. Why would someone call 911 for not getting her chicken nuggets? That made no sense what so ever. However, I enjoy reading these stories because it takes us as Americans away from the issues at hand such as the economy and the war in Iraq.

    Mcdonald's was definitely in the wrong and should not only issue an apology but should give her free food the next time she sets foot in there. I'm sure it was bad publicity for them as well. Super post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I cannot even believe that. People are so silly these days, but I understand what you're saying about fluff pieces leading over economic ones. Actually, I'm glad that you posted this story because I feel that it does take away from the every day pressures and responsibilities of life. I'm glad that I was able to laugh and forget about my troubles. Thank you.

    And yes, 911 should be saved for emergencies. I absolutely empathize with those sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely a hilarious story. I must say that I think I disagree with you. Sometimes, it is important to report on fluff-type of funny stories. Does anyone truly gain anything from this story of an obscure, and slightly crazy, lady? No. But it does gives us a quick break from the horrors going on in the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what the McFugget?

    ReplyDelete